Monday, September 5, 2016

Introducing YA Author Des Birch from the UK


Good Morning everyone,

   Today I'll be interviewing Author Des Birch. He writes young adult novels for children. What a great gift to give a child instead of a game or phone because to me a book expands their mind, their imagination. So today we're going to give you some great information for your next purchase of these great YA books for your child, or a niece or nephew, or it could be for yourself.
    So let's get started.
Here is one of the title covers.
1.  How did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have always written.  At school, English was my favorite subject.  When my children were young, I wrote short stories for their entertainment.  Writing books was a natural progression.

   2.  Tell me about your journey as an author… where did it start?

I wrote my first book, the Diary of an Innocent, while I was living in Spain.  It took me about eight months to write, but it had been in my mind for the usual two years before that.  When I moved back to England, I decided that I preferred to write for young minds.  that was when I wrote The Redemption.  the dark waters series began after that, but not before a book on my mental list (which hadn't been waiting in line for the customary two years), bullied its way to the front, demanding to be written.  Lamia is far removed from YA literature, and that is why I published it under the nom-de-plume Juliandes.  I have now written two books in the Dark Waters series and I am working on the third.


   3.  Are you a “plotter” or do you fly by the seat of your pants?

Most books have to serve their time in my mental queue, before they get written.  During this period, I must know the story completely, including the beginning, the end and at least one major highlight.  Then it is a battle, after which each book explains to me why I should write it.  I then choose the winner.  The story is already there.  I never fly by the seat of my pants.

   4.  Where do you get your inspiration from?

I get my inspiration from the natural world and the unnatural people I encounter in my everyday life.

   5.  What’s been the greatest challenge in being a writer and becoming published? What lessons would you share with new writers?

I don't know if this will help other writers, but I believe that it helped me enormously.  It can be very difficult at first, to concentrate on writing quality, storyline/flow, structure and where you last saw a character.  Whilst writing The redemption, I actually lost one of the girls and I had to go back many pages, to find where I left her.  When I was young, I used to read a lot of Hammer horror short stories.  I would read a story, wait a few days and then re-write the story.  It already had structure and storyline, so I could just concentrate on the writing quality.  Eventually I became used to structure and could plan a story it myself.  I have now extended it to my books.

   6.  What you working on at the moment?

I am currently working on the third book in the Dark Waters series.  This takes the hero from the first book and grows him up.  Instead of quests in the Quinling world, his quests are now real as young readers are given a glimpse into the life of an adult.  It tackles things like relationships with parents, love, marriage, raising children, the death of a loved one and finally his own demise.  It is the most difficult book I have ever worked on.


7  7.  What should readers expect from your books?

It is my job as an author, to entertain.  A reader should expect to become immersed in the story and want to turn the page to find out what happens next.  If a reader does not feel inclined to finish one of my books, the reader hasn't failed; I have.

   8.  What’s on your bookshelf? Do you have favorite authors?

I am a non-fiction fan and a shark/natural world lover.  My bookcase is full of these books with odd pieces of psychology and history thrown in.  I hold a BSc (Hons) open, mainly in science, so my bottom shelf is full of old course books.

   9.  And of your own books, which is your favorite?

Oh, don't make me choose.  It might upset the others.  I guess any of the Dark Waters series would do.

   10.If you could write in any other genre than your own, what would it be?

Psychological thrillers.  I like to play with people's minds.

 You can find Des Birch through these social media:

Blog                                            http://desbirch.blogspot.co.uk/
Smashwords                        https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Sharklet
Goodreads                            https://www.goodreads.com/author/dashboard
Amazon                                    https://www.amazon.com/Des-                                                    Birch/e/B004PHLYFO/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1472236632&sr=8-1
Twitter                                     @AuthorDes
Linkedin                                  https://www.linkedin.com/in/des-birch-              33494598?trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile
Pinterest                                https://uk.pinterest.com/desbirch/
Facebook                                https://www.facebook.com/Author-Des-118110241600887/
Twitter                                     https://twitter.com/AuthorDes

Book Titles:

The Redemption

The Diary Of An Innocent

Different eyes

Beyond Dark Waters

Above and Beyond Dark Waters


“Buy Links”

https://www.amazon.com/Des-Birch/e/B004PHLYFO/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Des-Birch/e/B004PHLYFO/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1472295636&sr=8-1

Have you attached copies of your book covers and/or author photo?

If not, are you happy for me to use images from your social media feed, website or author page?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Food Truck Army Serves Truckers across the USA fighting against the Covid19 Virus

           United We Stand!!!  🇺🇸 ❤️ 🤍 💙 The reports are that truckers are getting much needed medical supplies to hospita...